Kiwanis Scholarships Offered - Currently Closed
The Independence Kiwanis Foundation, Inc. (Kiwanis) offers scholarships to graduating high school seniors who are residents of Independence, Ohio, and who will be attending a college or a university on a full-time basis.
Kiwanis offers the following scholarships:
- The Kiwanis Mel Kurtz Scholarship; one (1) award in the amount of $2000, payable over a four-year period at the rate of $500 per year.
- The Dottie Ornas Memorial Scholarships; two (2) one-time awards in the amount of $500 each, awarded to a male and female graduating senior.
- The Howard Benes Memorial Scholarship; one (1) one-time award in the amount of $500.
- The Jack Shallcross Memorial Scholarship; one (1) one-time award in the amount of $500.
- The Willis Wells Memorial Scholarship; two (2) one-time awards in the amount of $250 each.
- Key Club Scholarships; up to two (2) awards of $600 each to graduating seniors who are also Key Club members.
To apply for these scholarships, the graduating senior must submit the following:
- A completed, signed application form.
- A transcript of your academic grades for the four year high school period, to include your cumulative GPA and senior class standing. MUST BE INCLUDED WITH APPLICATION.
- A letter summarizing your personal history that includes school activities, accomplishments, extra-curricular activities, work experience, contributions to community, hobbies and personal growth. MUST BE INCLUDED WITH APPLICATION.
- Key Club Members - in order to qualify for the Key Club scholarships, please add a separate paragraph about a Key Club service project you participated in that made you glad you became involved in a service club and how it affected you. Be sure to include years in which you were active in Key Club.
The deadline for receiving the scholarship applications together with the requested information shown above is Friday, April 7, 2017 at 3:00 pm. Applications received after this date will not be accepted.
Students at Independence High School can obtain applications through their Guidance Counselors and should return the completed package to their Guidance Counselor.
Students attending high schools outside the City of Independence can obtain applications at the Civic Center or on our website www.independencekiwanis.com.
The completed packages should be sent to:
Independence Kiwanis Foundation, Inc.
c/o Mr. William Gutermuth, Scholarship Committee Chairman
6117 Dora Blvd.
Independence, OH 44131
We wish you the best as you approach a new, exciting stage in your life!
INDEPENDENCE KIWANIS FOUNDATION, INC
The deadline for receiving the scholarship applications is 4/7/2017. Applications received after this date will not be accepted. We wish you the best as you approach a new, exciting stage in your life!